I'm Jarvis, a research and development engineer at AIMICAT. I joined the Aimicat team in 2020 and have been closely involved in the R&D and production of the first-generation AIMICAT. As a part of this journey, I've documented many of its stories and intricacies. Here are some of my recorded insights.
After successfully passing the interview, I officially joined AIMICAT as a research and development engineer. As I looked at the first product that had achieved crowdfunding success, I asked CEO Jiang Tian, whom we affectionately called "Mr. Jiang," "What new product are we planning to work on next?" With a calm smile, Mr. Jiang replied, "We're not done yet, AIMICAT is still evolving." I probed further, "Isn't everything designed already? The molds have been created based on the drawings. What else is left?" Mr. Jiang responded with a hint of wisdom, "Everything is just getting started." And so began a journey of countless details and intricacies. Allow me to share a particularly memorable episode from this endeavor.
Overcoming Challenges and Pursuing Perfection
Post injection molding, an issue arose with AIMICAT – the front and rear shells of the product wouldn't completely close. The irregular shapes of these shells and the plastic used for the sandbox led to varying shrinkage rates in different directions. Consequently, when the three major components were assembled, achieving a seamless closure of the spherical shell proved challenging. It's important to note that the current mold was still in its early testing phase, lacking surface texture refinement. The issue of closure was just the tip of the iceberg; more rigorous functional testing could potentially lead to further mold modifications. To address this, we adopted an approach involving the prototype. By gradually making cuts and measuring gap changes, we aimed to pinpoint the key reasons preventing complete closure.
Apart from the overall gap around the shell, there was also a need to close the gap between the sandbox and the rear shell. Through several attempts, we encountered instances where fixing the gap in the shell resulted in an enlarged sandbox gap. This posed a risk of sand leakage, directly affecting the core functionality.
After numerous trials and verifications, we decided to remove several redundant reinforcement ribs, which had initially been added to stabilize the sandbox. Subsequently, we fine-tuned the injection parameters for both the sandbox and the front/rear shells. Ultimately, we achieved the desired closure effect of the shell, while ensuring stability in terms of functionality. With this, we were ready to move forward with subsequent testing.
No matter the challenges that came our way, we remained steadfast in our belief that with continuous effort, our team would innovate and overcome. This experience was not just a technological advancement but also a testament to the unity of our team. I felt truly honored to be part of it. As we continue on this journey towards perfection, each step forward is a testament to our team's collaboration and wisdom. Looking ahead, I am excited for the many more remarkable stories that await, because this is just the first step of a long and demanding expedition. The myriad challenges that lie ahead will be met with our unwavering determination.